Sunday, January 4, 2015

Yet another late update - December 15, 2014


December 15, 2014

Hola hola!
                                                                                               
This week was pretty good, and I call it “animal week” because I saw all kinds of animals! At the beginning of the week we visited an hermana that lives in an area that is a little more in the jungle. She was telling us how every time it rains the snakes come out, and the other day she found one in her room. They took a picture of another that they found at the house and it was a HUGE boa.  We didn’t see any when we were there but then it started to rain a little so then we were like “ok, we have to go...”  When we did service on Wednesday we saw an ant eater! And another day when we were on the bus and we were at the stop light, there was a group gathered around the sidewalk and there we saw a SLOTH! It’s just normal here for there to be a sloth on the side of the road.  Then in another service project we had on Saturday there was a huge turtle.  I think that is it, but really you never know what you will find here! Also I think I’ve become an expert at killing spiders... who would have thought.
Anyway, my companion and I are doing really well.  We laugh a lot and have a lot of adventures.  I just found out though that the reason she doesn’t like Christmas is because they never celebrated it in her house.  They never had a tree, she never got presents, they never did anything, because they didn’t have a lot of money. She just feels sad because she doesn’t have any happy memories of Christmas and for all the people here that are really poor too. So we are trying to figure out what we can do. We are thinking of making hot chocolate and goodies to give out to people on Christmas Eve.  I’m going to buy gifts for the children of the families we’re teaching.  Anyway, we have a few families we are teaching that I really love.  Please pray for them.
I love seeing the Christmas trees in the homes and even though I’m not at home, I can feel the Christmas spirit when I’m with the people, when I look around at the lights and decorations and the beauty of the jungle around me, and when we’re teaching about the savior and when I read the scriptures. I encourage you all to think about the true meaning of Christmas and what brings the spirit to you and what are the things that are most important. For me, it’s family and love and giving and the power the gospel has to change lives and to make us happy. And trying to follow the example of our Savior by his service and love for all those around him.
  
Love you all,

Hermana Tijerino


______________________________________________________________________
NOTE: In order to protect their privacy the names of my companions, members and investigators will be omitted and their name tags obfuscated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© Jennifer Tijerino and Mission Adventures in Bolivia - 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material and posted photographs without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jennifer Tijerino and Mission Adventures in Bolivia with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments:

Post a Comment