Sunday, October 20, 2013

Welcome

Welcome to my missionary blog.  My name is Jennie, and I will be serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Here is where my family will post updates on how I am doing and my emails about my experiences on my mission.
I am going to be serving in the Bolivia Santa Cruz North mission, preaching the gospel in the Spanish language.  I report to the Colombia MTC on November 6th, 2013.
A mission was something I never considered on doing until this year.  It had always been on my mind ever since the prophet lowered the serving age for girls from 21 to 19, but it was still wasn’t in my plans.  Finally after much thought and prayer, I prayed and fasted and went to the temple where I finally received my answer- the one I knew all along in the back of my mind- that I needed to serve a mission.
I turned 19 in August, and now I’m getting ready to leave in about 2 weeks.  Here are some of my thoughts.
First and foremost, I love this gospel- the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It has brought me so much happiness and comfort in my life.  Serving a mission will give me opportunity to share this happiness with others.
Second, I know that Lord has been preparing throughout my life for this.  I know He has a plan for me.   He knows me, and He knows what I need.  And there’s a reason for everything.  There’s a reason I took Spanish in high school and college.  There’s a reason I went to school at BYU.  My testimony has grown so much there. There’s a reason I went to mission prep, even though I wasn’t planning on a mission at the time.  There’s a reason I have the family that I have.  There’s a reason why I’ve been blessed with the friends I have, because of the good examples they are to me.  He has put people into my life that I needed, and that have blessed me in so many ways. He’s been preparing long before I had any idea I would be serving a mission.  He is ever aware of us and what we are going through, and what we need to prepare us for the future.  His plan for us is perfect, because His love is a perfect love.  This gospel is centered around love.  Elder Holland said in his talk in this past general conference “Above all, never lose faith in your Father in Heaven, who loves you more than you can comprehend. As President Monson said to the Relief Society sisters: “That love never changes. … It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful. God’s love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve [it]. It is simply always there.” 
Heavenly Father loves us, and He always will.
Third, because Heavenly Father loves us, he gives us trials.  I know a mission will be hard.  I know I will struggle and will have hard times.  But I know that they will help me grow.  Our trials are for our benefit, so we can grow and become more like Him.
Finally, here is a poem I wrote in my junior English class that I want to share.  We were asked to write what our mission in life was, and there was an option to write a short essay or poem, so I opted for the poem.
My Mission
In a wisp of smoke
The blink of an eye
We could disappear
You live, and then you die

How are we remembered
How do we make it last
Do we take life slow
Or have we gone too fast

I hope I make a difference
I hope that someone sees
I hope I change a life or two
And somehow just believe

Life is to be lived
To have love and some fun
To leave a lasting impression
And show the world what I’ve done

That is my mission
And a mission it’ll be
To change the world for good
Just you wait and see

I want to make a difference in someone’s life.  I want to share the gospel and bring happiness to people.  I want to have new adventures.  I want to learn things about myself, and grow in the gospel.  I want to forget myself and get lost in the service of others.  I want to feel the love of my Savior for his people. 

Despite my fears, I’m excited to serve a mission.  I’m so grateful with everything the Lord has blessed me with, and for this opportunity to serve Him.   

© Jennifer Tijerino and Mission Adventures in Bolivia, 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material and posted photographs without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jennifer Tijerino and Mission Adventures in Bolivia with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments:

Post a Comment